Monday, October 9, 2017

Karen: On (and Off) my needles and hooks, October 2017

I've knitted and crocheted a ton this month! The weather's cooling down, which makes me want to knit and crochet more and more. We just had our first snow day here in Denver, so I decided now would be a good time to update on what is on and off my needles!

Finished projects:

Sweater Sampler

First up is the knitted sweater sampler! While it looks like an ugly fish-shaped thing, it's actually a practice in a ton of techniques from the Sweater Workshop book by Jacqueline Fee! I've already started using this thing as a reference for the sweater I'm working on right now. Super useful for a demonstration of a bunch of techniques.


Alpaca Infinity Scarf

This is the scarf that was a work in progress back in August. The edges curl up a bit more than I'd like (should probably block it sometime soon), but it's super soft and warm for winter! Love the texturing that the knit-slip stitching lends.


Wings Shawl

I decided to play with some of the Caron Cakes yarn to make this shawl, which was a lot of fun! I really like the feather effect on these, but I'd like to do a shawl in a finer weight yarn at some point (this one is worsted weight). It is just asking to be blocked, though, which I haven't gotten around to yet. Here's the pattern, in case you're interested: http://knitty.com/ISSUEdf16/PATTwingsfornightbird/PATTwingsfornightbird.php


Bunny Scarf

Next up is a crocheted bunny scarf! I used a couple of other scarf patterns (a raccoon and a moose) for reference, but otherwise designed this myself! This one was for Peter, since he loves bunnies (honestly, who doesn't?). I needle felted on the eyes and patterning, made a pom pom for the tail, and sewed on yarn for the nose. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out! Here's the Etsy site that I bought the moose and raccoon patterns from (I've made both of them before): https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeesKneesKnitting




Crocheted Fruit Basket

This was freehand, and a request from Bob. It ended up a little large for the basket, since it stretches quite a bit, so I tied a string around the bottom to tighten it.


Crocheted Squirtle Amigurimi

I found this adorable pattern for a tiny pokemon, and decided it would be a great way to use up a little bit of extra yarn! This was a pretty quick project, which was great for between the bigger projects. Here's the pattern! http://www.loopteeloops.ca/2017/01/squirtle-crochet-pattern.html?m=1




Phew, that's a lot! Now on to what's on my needles right now!

Works in Progress:

Sweater for Mom

I'm being way too ambitious right now. Going for making a sport-weight sweater for my mom for Christmas. I'm using this pattern: https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=5778&cid=17 and I'm maybe 5-10% of the way done right now. Very excited for how it turns out, though!



Koi Pond Socks

This is not technically on the needles yet, but I got a recent Knitpicks order (included the yarn for the sweater for my mom), and I love this yarn! I'll be starting a pair of socks with it soon, as a break from the long haul of the sweater.




1 comment:

  1. Omgoodness! You have been prolific! I love seeing what you've been up to, and the bunny scarf is super cute!!! I need a hanging pot holder, I think I'm going to try crocheting one myself now. xxoo

    ReplyDelete