Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Karen: On (and Off) the needles, August 2017

Taking after Dana in this, I wanted to share what I've been working on, and what's been finished!

Off the Needles: Simple Hand-dyed Socks

I started these so long ago, like, before I both started and finished a sweater and a move halfway across the country, long ago. The yarn was KnitPicks superwash, dyed at a dying party with Betsy and Dana (and Nilay and Ella).

I am in love with how the yarn turned out in these, so I decided to stick with a simple stockinette stitch for the body, with a seed stitch stripe accent across the front and back of the socks. Used the heel flap method, should try short rows as per Betsy's suggestion sometime in the near future.




On the Needles: Sweater Sampler

The sweater sampler from The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee has been on my needles for a little while, since before the move a month ago. I am a huge fan of this book and project, as it teaches so many techniques and options for use in the making of a sweater. From looking at how different ribbings look, to increasing and decreasing in pairs, to colorworking and stripes, this ugly fish-shaped project going to be a reference for sweater options for years to come. I highly recommend the book and the sweater sampler project.

This is super close to the end of it, and I'm eager to start a sweater for my husband at some point in the near future!



On the Needles: Alpaca Infinity Scarf

It's no secret that I love super soft yarn, particularly alpaca. I found this 100% baby alpaca yarn on sale at a local yarn and crafts shop called Fancy Tiger Crafts, and I couldn't do without it. I'm making a thick, textured (a simple knit-slip or slip-knit alternating with knit rows) infinity scarf a la Jessica Jones style. This stuff (I think it's Blue Sky alpaca) is gloriously soft, sport weight, and I'm excited for the resulting winter and fall fluffiness!


1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!! I love seeing us all on here and sharing (warm fuzzies)!!! The Sweater Workshop is so on my list of must get books. Congrats on finishing the socks, they are beautiful, and I want to squeeze the alpaca infinity so bad, it looks so comfy and squishy!

    ReplyDelete